Whatcom Word, the word of Whatcom
- To honor Nooksack heritageby Leora Watson on May 26, 2022 at 5:29 PM
“When did you move to Lynden?” is a question we locals often ask when we meet a person for the first time. Whether your answer is “My family has been here 100 years and I went to school here,” or, “We just moved in during the pandemic,” I urge us all to learn more about
- Alyce Reimerby Leora Watson on May 26, 2022 at 5:22 PM
Alyce Carolyn Archer Reimer passed away Dec. 18, 2021. She was born Nov. 24, 1924 in Nebraska to the late Guy and Lueta Archer. A memorial service will be Monday, June 6 at 11 a.m. at Good News Fellowship Church. Please share your thoughts and memories of Alyce online at […]
- Fred Millayby Leora Watson on May 26, 2022 at 5:21 PM
Fred R. Millay (Bob) a lifelong bachelor, passed away May 9 in Bellingham. Fred was born Nov 16, 1925 in Thompson Creek, Wyoming to parents Fred H. and Estella (Bill) Millay. The family lived in several locations before settling in Whatcom County where Fred graduated from Mt. Baker High School […]
- David Hullby Leora Watson on May 26, 2022 at 5:21 PM
David Arthur Hull, of Bellingham and Ferndale, passed away on Aug. 26, 2021, peacefully in his sleep at Whatcom Hospice House from vascular dementia at age 77. David was born Feb. 24, 1944, in St. Louis, MO, to Charles Granville Hull and Faith Nadine (Craven) Hull. The family moved to Southern […]
- Negligence, lack of caring delay flood resolutionby Leora Watson on May 26, 2022 at 5:21 PM
I’d like to invite the gentleman from Lynden who stated in his article recently about several articles being “written by dredging machinery manufactures” to my house for a cup of coffee to discuss the matter. But wait! I can’t because you see I can’t live in my house yet and I’m not […]
- Letter to the Editor – May 25, 2022by Leora Watson on May 26, 2022 at 5:20 PM
A church service filled with hope Editor, On May 29, this coming Sunday, there is a Sunday church service happening at 9:30 a.m. at Valley Church, 904 Nooksack Ave. Everyone is welcome. We really want to cultivate that heart that Valley Church is a place where anyone can call it home. Here’s why […]
- Time to reconsider COVID-19 vaccine mandates?by Leora Watson on May 26, 2022 at 5:19 PM
Have you ever bought something online that you had to later return because it wasn’t the right size or the color was different from what you had expected? Every time I buy something online, I can’t wait to see what I actually get. Once in a while, I’m disappointed and never order from that […]
- Ferndale schedules summer of funby Leora Watson on May 26, 2022 at 5:18 PM
By Leora Watson email@example.com FERNDALE — Summer and fun go hand in hand. If you are looking to have fun this summer, Ferndale is the place to be. With an impressive lineup of events from concerts to movies in the park to picnics, there is something for everyone to let their hair […]
- Ferndale resident charged with arsonby Leora Watson on May 26, 2022 at 5:18 PM
By Bill Helm firstname.lastname@example.org FERNDALE — A Ferndale resident has been charged with arson after Whatcom County Fire District 7 responded to a suspicious fire at her parents’ house. On May 14, Ferndale resident Kelsy Rae Logan was arrested and booked into Whatcom County Jail on suspicion […]
- Governor Inslee tests positive for COVID-19by asmith on May 26, 2022 at 3:35 PM
The governor is fully vaccinated and has received two COVID-19 booster shots. The post Governor Inslee tests positive for COVID-19 appeared first on 790 KGMI.
- New study pinpoints primary cause of deadly PNW heatwaveby asmith on May 26, 2022 at 2:33 PM
The heatwave over the Northwest last June killed 1000 people in the U.S. and Canada. The post New study pinpoints primary cause of deadly PNW heatwave appeared first on 790 KGMI.
- Harborview doctor praises Washington state gun laws in wake of Uvalde school shootingby asmith on May 26, 2022 at 1:43 PM
Dr. Fred Rivara at Harborview Medical Center encourages families to have age-appropriate conversations with kids about school safety. The post Harborview doctor praises Washington state gun laws in wake of Uvalde school shooting appeared first on 790 KGMI.
- BPD arrest two men in separate drugged driving incidentsby asmith on May 26, 2022 at 1:23 PM
In each case, the drivers damaged patrol cars and had outstanding warrants for recent vehicle thefts. The post BPD arrest two men in separate drugged driving incidents appeared first on 790 KGMI.
- WWU Championship mementos stolen from Carver Gymby asmith on May 26, 2022 at 1:18 PM
The mementos from the school's 2012 Men's National Championship basketball team are valued at $400 to $500. The post WWU Championship mementos stolen from Carver Gym appeared first on 790 KGMI.
- Blaine School District cancels classes after lockdownby asmith on May 26, 2022 at 1:15 PM
Officers from multiple agencies responded to reports of a threat and cleared school buildings on Wednesday, May 25th. The post Blaine School District cancels classes after lockdown appeared first on 790 KGMI.
- Briefly: Ferndale and the surrounding areas in the news, May 25, 2022by Leora Watson on May 25, 2022 at 9:17 PM
Ferndale plans citywide community meeting Get the inside scoop on what is happening in Ferndale directly from Mayor Greg Hansen, council members, city staff and community leaders at the city’s in-person community meeting on Tuesday, May 31 at Pioneer Pavilion, 2007 Cherry St. The City of Ferndale […]
- Lynden Police, Homeland Security hosting presentation on keeping kids safe onlineby asmith on May 25, 2022 at 3:08 PM
The presentation starts at 6:30 and it will not be filmed or broadcast. The post Lynden Police, Homeland Security hosting presentation on keeping kids safe online appeared first on 790 KGMI.
- Bellingham Police seeking suspects in carjacking on Guideby asmith on May 25, 2022 at 2:48 PM
Lt. Claudia Murphy says that the victim was inside his car Saturday night, May 21st, in the parking lot of Petsmart and Michaels off the Guide. The post Bellingham Police seeking suspects in carjacking on Guide appeared first on 790 KGMI.
- WSDA setting traps for Asian giant hornets, asking residents to report paper wasp nestsby asmith on May 25, 2022 at 2:19 PM
The department is asking citizen-scientists to help spot the hornets again this year, either by trapping or by adopting a paper wasp nest. The post WSDA setting traps for Asian giant hornets, asking residents to report paper wasp nests appeared first on 790 KGMI.
- Washington lawmakers speak out after school shooting in Uvalde, Texasby asmith on May 25, 2022 at 1:54 PM
Nineteen children and two teachers were killed in the shooting at Robb Elementary School in the south Texas city of Uvalde. The post Washington lawmakers speak out after school shooting in Uvalde, Texas appeared first on 790 KGMI.